Monday, November 5, 2007

Follow the Yellow Brick Road - Day 1

Cast of Characters:

Dorothy Gale...................................Me!
Toto.................................................My faithful husband - where I am always home, no
heel clicking needed
The Wicked Witch if the West.........This fr!@#$n tumor
The Wicked Witch if the East.........She started as the WWotW, but I like her better,
so I squashed that image
Glinda, The Witch of the North.......My Aetna insurance nurse - waving her wand
over my smallest troubles
The Scarecrow................................My surgeon - my trust in him brought me to this
Yellow Brick Road
The Tinman.....................................My Neuroradiologist - it took an oilcan to get to him,
but he has a heart
The Cowardly Lion..........................My Neuro-Oncologist - "Put 'em up!...I can fight tumors with
one paw tied behind my back.
The Emerald City............................A green good luck talisman I wear for treatment
The Ruby Slippers...........................Decadron - protecting my brain and boosting my
right side in the process!
The Winkies....................................The rays from my beloved 6EX treatment machine,
marching in for battle
The Bucket of Water.......................Temodar, "I'm melting . . . MELTING!
. . . Oh what a world
. . . who ever thought a little pill like you could have destroy my beautiful wickedness
. . . (Ding Dong the Wicked Witch of The West is Dead)


I used a scene with some of these friends during my few short minutes of therapy today, in fast forward.

In my head I saw Toto leading Scarecrow, Lion and Tinman up the mountain to the Witches Castle. They bonk three Guards over the head, steal their uniforms and sneak in to the castle to free Dorothy. The Guards chase them down at the command of
the Wicked Witch of the West, but a carefully thrown bucket of water melts her flat. Turns out the Guards were under a spell and are pleased as punch to help Dorothy out.

So you see! Radiation and Temodar are my secret friends. I was absolutely calm once I got in the door. Last night was a bit nerve wracking, but I had everything ready to go for this morning so I didn't have to think about anything. In the shower this morning I worked out the details, made my plan and planned my visualization for treatment. I even changed the Wicked Witch, so I could melt the tumor. (Besides. I
have now met her properly and will deal with that nurse often)

I'm not sick. I'm not tired. I ate a hearty lunch and went to a yarn shop.

Life is good.


Did you know the Guards of the Witches' Castle were called The Winkies?
They sing the Brain Tumor Zapping Theme Song.



The Winkies: [singing repeatedly] Oh we oh, yooo ho!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.