Thursday, April 17, 2008

Add My Dad

Now my Dad is having Coronary Bypass surgery. It started innocently enough. After being short of breath when walking the halls of Hopkins recently, he saw his cardiologist. One thing quickly led to another and he was in the hospital. It's been delayed twice already, once to add a left carotid endarterectomy and again (for reasons unknown) over the weekend. But they're keeping him admitted.

My family knows how to throw an O.R. party. When I got to my Dad's room today, nine assorted relatives greeted me, backed out into the hallway. I couldn't even get to him there was so much love in his room. As a former hospital worker, that made me wince. But I don't work there and nobody knows me so pthhhhhhhhdt ! It reminded me of my first Craniotomy. I had thirteen people in the waiting room. People just kept coming. I was so embarrassed. It was my hospital. I was making a spectacle of myself.

Later I realized it wasn't my show.

Not to be morbid, but it's kinda like funerals. People need to gather. They need to protect each other. And my Dad has twelve brothers and sisters plus their spouses, kids, and his wife's family who love him very much.

We're gonna need a bigger room.

So add my Dad to your list tonight. He and his wife will have to cancel the cruise in May and he may have to re-think that cross-country drive in June, but with a gathering of the clan
and a few prayers from you guys ~ he'll get by alright.


1 comment:

Darcie said...

Wow! You have had waaaay too much hospital time lately! My family went through that lately, but hopefully we can wave good bye to the hospital for now.
Prayers for all of you.