Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I can

Here are a few things I can do today that I couldn't do the day of my surgery one week ago.

I can
  1. hook my own bra
  2. feel the water in the shower on my right side
  3. cut my own steak and use a fork in my right hand
  4. sit up straight without thinking about it
  5. carry a glass of water across a room without sloshing it all over the place
  6. stand up the first time I try from a cushy couch
  7. walk to my mailbox
  8. stand up from a chair that isn't up against a wall or braced by someone's foot - and holding on to someone's hand
  9. brushing my teeth without bobbing my head up and down on the brush
  10. use a regular restroom if I need to
  11. open my front door with the key without jiggling to get it in straight
  12. eat popcorn with my right hand at the movies and hitting the opening of the bag without fumbling in the dark
  13. smile without feeling it's crooked somehow and wondering if anyone notices
And that's just the highlights.

Things have been happening to my body so fast I can barely breathe sometimes. I don't remember what it was like to be able to take care of myself. I have to remember that I'm supposed to take it easy for 4-6 weeks and not bend over and not lift things and not do the laundry and scrub out the tub and weed the garden and mow the lawn and go to The Home Depot to get the sand so I can build a patio out of some granite we have and . . .

I gotta sit down and just breathe.

Bobby and I were expecting to be setting up Homecare with an agency at this point and we're going to the movies instead. I went to my regular knitting group today and freaked out the girls. I know I still have a hurdle while I wait for a diagnosis, but geeze Louise. If my body isn't dragged down by all the paralysis I've been dealing with over the years? Mountains. I can climb mountains.

2 comments:

Knitty Cat said...

That is so awesome! I'm glad things have worked out so well for you! It's amazing what we learn to live with, and then when we get those things fixed, we wonder how we got along before. I'm super exited for you, I hope all continues to go well.

Anonymous said...

climb mountains? sounds like you can practically *move* mountains! glad it's all good :)