Friday, December 21, 2007

Day 33 - Stick a Fork in me - I'm DONE !

7 weeks.

33 treatments.

I'm very fatigued physically - but mentally I'm so psyched that Radiation is over. No more 5:30 alarm and driving to Hopkins Monday through Friday. Woooooo Hooooo!

It'll take a few weeks for the fatigue to back off, then the steroid taper down as the effects of this final push of radiation (it was increased and focused this week) wears off. Then it's follow up with a higher dose of just my oral chemo five days at a time later.

I can handle that.

I've been blessed by good fortune throughout this.
Bobby's employer granted him the time so he and I could do this without outside help. When we unexpectedly did need help my sister moved in for nearly a week and kept me on schedule. I was spared the need for IV chemotherapy, a much more difficult road. I had a good drug that obliterated the nausea associated with my oral chemotherapy. My blood counts have been stable and I've had no major reactions to my treatments. We have good medical and prescription insurance. Except for my initial introduction into the radiation process, my contact with all medical professionals has been exceedingly smooth, competent, attentive and pleasant.

Go to The Johns Hopkins Hospital if you have cancer.

My Surgeon - Dr Alessandro Olivi
Professor of Neurosurgery and Oncology
Director of Neurosurgical Oncology

- The Scarecrow - my brain - who started me on this journey by convincing me I just found out I had a brain tumor.

My Radiation Oncologist - Dr Lawrence Kleinberg
Associate Professor Radiation Oncology, Molecular Radiation Sciences, Oncology, Neurological Surgery
Co-Director Steriotactic Radiosurgery
- The Tinman - my heart - who turned from shy guy to the one I always wanted to hear telling me I'm doing so well.

My Neuro Oncologist - Dr Stuart Grossman
Professor of Oncology, Medicine and Neurosurgery
- The Lion - my courage - who convinced me taking a drug proven for a related tumor but not starting research on my type of tumor until 6 months was right for me.

Cancer affected my family big time in 2005. My road had been a piece of cake in comparison so far. I believe they had a hand in that.

My mother passed away in November of 2006 at home with us. Immediately I felt a strong urge to take care of my own neglected medical issues. The signs from her were personal, specific and at times quite overwhelming. Or seemingly coincidence. Like being disconnected from a clueless customer service rep then calling a different representative who knew exactly what to do. God is busy. He knew I'd trust my Mom.

Thanks Mom.


1 comment:

Jean in Georgia said...

Blessings to you! As the caregiver of a brain tumor patient (my father had a GBM before passing away 6 years ago) I have an idea of what you've been through.

"Met" you over on the NASCAR board on Ravelry. I'm so pleased for your successful treatment, and I'll be sure to say a prayer for your continued recovery!

(p.s. I'm "doxietrek" on Ravelry)