The week before Christmas 2007 was my last radiation treatment. The week before Christmas 2008, my blood counts were finally normal and I took my last antibiotic, which ended all chemical treatment. I also had a terrific follow up MRI of my brain but I will continue to see my Oncologist for follow up and MRIs every 2 months. I'm getting back to normal, whatever that is. I just have to remember what to do with myself.
In Physical Therapy I've worked hard for over fifteen months and have almost reached my maximum potential. Then I have to find a gym for maintenance. (eeek!) In a way, I am in better shape than I have been for a very, very long time. Balance. Strength. Stamina. Cardiovascular status. I'm stiff and creaky in the mornings or when I've been sitting, but when I get warmed up . . .
- Do sit ups, press ups, and stand ups(without holding on to something)
- Stand without a cane near a corner and kick a ball with my therapist, changing feet and aiming like a soccer star
- Catch and throw! Fast! While maintaining eye contact with my therapist!
- Pull 8 lbs of weights in three different directions
- Walk an average of 14 minutes on the treadmill
- Walk backwards
- Stand on my feet or shop in a store up to an hour without collapsing
- Load my scooter in and out of my car by myself, even on a windy day in the cold (a HUGE goal)
Everybody wishes folks a "happy and healthy New Year". Yeah yeah yeah.
I hope you tackle something you've been wanting to, but never thought you could.
No matter how small it seems.